The DGINS conference was established with the aim of stimulating fruitful discussions about the development of the European Statistical System (ESS). Since its 1953 debut in Luxembourg, it has been annually held at alternating member states. The meeting brings together the director generals of national statistical offices, representatives of the European Commission, ECB, the UN Economic Commission for Europe and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, and is chaired by the host country’s director general.
The 105th DGINS annual conference will take place on 9 – 10 October 2019 in Bratislava. The theme of this year’s meeting will be globalization, which is an issue that presents particular challenges to upholding the relevance of statistics.
It is essential that the ESS plans and introduces coordinated steps to improve the current situation, and implements such measures in coming years. Users and international companies will also need to be involved through communication strategies.
Previous DGINS conferences:
- 2018 Bucharest, Romania: The European path towards Trusted Smart Statistics
- 2017, Budapest, Hungary: Population Movements and Integration Issues – Migration Statistics
- 2016 Vienna, Austria: Statistics on Income, Consumption and Wealth
- 2015 Lisbon, Portugal: Indicators for decision making and monitoring
- 2014 Riga, Latvia: Towards global business statistics
- 2013 Scheveningen, The Netherlands: “ESS future and how we get there”, “New round of Peer reviews” and “Big Data”
- 2012 Prague, Czech Republic: Meeting new needs on statistics for green economy and coordination of statistics and geospatial information
- 2011 Wiesbaden, Germany: Next generation of the Code of Practice and new conceptual design for household and social statistics
- 2010 Sofia, Bulgaria: Measuring progress, well-being and sustainable development